View Single Post
07-29-10, 01:18 PM   #5
DNBRMG
A Murloc Raider
Thank you for all your help

Thank you for all your help. The WoWWiki article in particular has proven to be most useful. It is my intent to use the UnitAura() API function to identify the spell ID's of specific aura detected on their respective targets. I can also see where I might need to employ the use of combat log event filters in an effort to minimize CPU usage as a quick test of the new and improve event detection code (shown below) in Ironforge had the debugging message popping up every 5 seconds or so. Thanks again for your help.
Code:
local addon = CreateFrame"Frame"

addon:SetScript("OnEvent", function(self, event, _, etype, ...)
  if ( event == "COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED" and etype == "SPELL_AURA_APPLIED" ) then
    DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("aura application detected.")
  end
end)

addon:RegisterEvent"COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED"
I am a huge fan of zork's Diablo III themed Roth UI. Getting the rFilter2 component of that UI configured is of particular interest to me right now yet finding the right spell ID's to enter into the config section of the lua has been a bit problematic using available resources. Most of the Aura's I am interested in tracking haven been pretty straight forward, while a few have come up with a few possible spell ID's. After having some success at using the UnitAura() function in a "/run" macro I figured it shouldn't be to hard to do the same thing in an addon. And now that I have the event detection working reasonably well I am one step closer to making that a reality.