View Single Post
03-22-11, 05:07 AM   #9
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Duugu View Post
I totally agree with you that there is a line. But to tell the truth I can't follow you definition of sponsoring and advertising.

I can't see why showing a company's name on my webpage is considered as sponsoring and showing a company's name inside my addon should be advertising.
Well, they're kind of separate entities. Let's say a company sponsors a particular event. They do this by providing financial support and services. Their motivation for doing so could be purely financial, or they could have vested interests in the event's topics, or simply find that it's a good cause and want to help out. This is the sponsorship. However, as part of their sponsorship deal, they place their banners around the event in order to advertise for their company. So now we have an event that's being sponsored, but is also displaying advertisements.

It's ok to place advertisements on websites because the AddOn policy only restricts advertisements in game. So, feel free to sponsor and be sponsored, just don't place advertisements / logos / symbols etc in game

Last edited by Nibelheim : 03-22-11 at 05:09 AM.