Thread: New PC for 2014
View Single Post
02-05-14, 09:31 AM   #5
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Duugu View Post
This reminds me on TESO. The system requirements state a minimum of 60 GB storage space.
OWWWWW. Probably worth it, however. Still won't dent 250GB enough, even with WoW, Windows, and some apps, there is still room. Add a few movies, and then start to worry. That still illustrates that having a second or larger primary SSD would be a better choice.

Originally Posted by Duugu View Post
Are the two identical 3TB hard disks planed as a redundant storage solution?
I'm not really up to date with the SSD technology. As far as I can rember SSD is not the technology of choice for redundant storage solutions (failures, robustness, number of read/write operations, etc.).
I'm not sure either. I do know that SSDs have gotten much better, but like you, I can't/won't confirm.

Originally Posted by ckramme View Post
Looks nice.I do have a comment on the CPU.

If its a pure gaming rig then I think an i7 may be a bit over the top.
I run an i7 and at the time of this writing I'm running 2x WoW clients, Browser with 6 tabs open, skype, mumble, utorrent, steam and a mod manager for Skyrim.
My CPU is only utilizing 4 cores, sometimes a 5th does 5% load.
I respectably disagree, based on going from an i5 2.4GHz to i7 3.5GHz. I very visibly noticed a massive bump in overall smoothness in Rift, Diablo III, and WoW. Since I also have nVidia's 3D solution, I can tell you the i5 could not handle that, but the i7 does it with flair.

Granted, not everybody uses 3D, streams, etc, but even without those CPU hogs, the bump was worth it.