View Single Post
05-13-09, 08:04 PM   #191
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by honem View Post
Unless I'm mistaken wan't your argument "Curse and Wowinterface hate each other?" and that Kaelten forced Caireen to put up the wowmatrix block?

Please correct me if not so
i don't believe they "hate each other". i think "hate" and "like" are not really adjectives applicable to business relations. wowi and curse are pretty much offering the same services. they are in direct competition with each other. i don't think wowdb was created as a means to help wowhead -- it was a way to get more market share for curse.

Then maybe you should be asking Caireen how much input wow interface had in the decision to block wow matrix instead of assuming
come again? you quoted caireen yourself on the matter:

"Why would we not have a choice? Because other sites were going to be implementing theirs today, whether we did or not. If we didn't go ahead with ours today as well, we wouldn't be running at all today. They (WowMatrix) would have jumped from splitting their scraping of both sites to scraping only one site, our site, since they couldn't access the other one. We'd be down today, completely and totally, no one would be able to get to our site at all. How does that help anyone?"

that sounds a bit aggressive on curse's part. we're going to block wowmatrix -- here's how we're going to do it, if you're not onboard, expect to be blitzed by wowmatrix.

This is where I'm going to have to disagree with you. Like it's been re-iterated again and again over multiple threads. Curse and Wowinterface have been trying to work with wowmatrix for months. They didn't just roll out of bed one day decide they wanted to block wowmatrix once and for all and the next day put down the block.

Trying not to be personal here but you seem to subscribing to the notion that if curse had blocked wowmatrix and wow interface didn't then wow matrix would suddenly contact wow interface. And that they would of been able to "work something out" and there would be sunshine and rainbows and little dancing lambs and everything will be a-ok in the world.
i think you're misunderstanding my point. i'm not suggesting that wowi would have been able to work with wowmatrix. maybe yes, maybe no. people point to all the changes in wowmatrix's policies since they got slapped as "too little, too late". however, another way to look at it as "they got the message". regardless, from a business standpoint, curse ensuring that other sites were onboard with their blocking is more beneficial than a disunited front on the issue -- particularly if wowmatrix were to somehow figure out a way to work with wowi. it would be absolute fail if curse were to accidentally force two competitors to join forces when they could have eliminated one.

Thing is from all the threads I've read about this ...wow matrix have never played nicely with the author side of the community. They've never answered any of the communications sent by this site over many many months. What makes you think they're suddenly going to change their spots ? IMHO They don't have a very good track record at all.
fear of going out of business. they don't do the things they do simply because they're evil and want to mess with people. they do them as a business model in an attempt to make money. watching their business fail is a strong motivator.

Yeah but it's still more work for an author to do. I still say uploaded old versions to other sites directing them to Curse is probably one of the most counter productive moves you can do as an author. In the end it's just more work for you to do as an author.
you think? i only host here and at wowace/curse. my mods here are a cycle behind curse because, frankly, it's a drag to upload. yes, i'm lazy. since i develop on wowace, i upload via svn then tag when i want it to go to curse.

Yeah but it's in their best interest as a site offering a program like the Author Rewards program to offer some integrity to how and where they give out rewards. If they really allowed every tom dick and harry to upload something then allowed them to bump up their rank artificially to get hits the program wouldn't last very long.
how is it "artificial"? curse gets more traffic / ad impressions even if the author is trying to force people to use curse. that's their ultimate goal as a company, no?

www.quest-helper.com (i think that's the name) redirects to curse's quest-helper page. that site redirect was set-up by the author of quest helper. do you think curse thinks of that as being "unfair" or do you think they think of it as bringing them more visitors -- and thus ad revenue?