View Single Post
06-22-10, 01:08 PM   #1
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question Addons.txt: Now how does that work?

Does anyone know how WoW decides which addons to load for all characters, provided those individual characters do not have an opposing state set in the Addons.txt file? I ran some tests but they left me perplexed.

What I noticed:
  • Logging in on a fresh realm will create a full list of addons and their states (disabled/enabled) and store it in Addons.txt on only one character. This character needs not be the one logged in on. I don't know how WoW picks the character.
  • Other characters' Addons.txt files consist only of the addons they explicitly enable/disable. This is logical.

The first character's Addons.txt could potentially be considered a master file, but there are at least two issues with this:
  • There seems to be no way to check which character's Addons.txt should be the master
  • Multiple characters can have the same addon listed as enabled or disabled

Which leads us to possible solutions:
  • The character with the most addons listed in Addons.txt gets global settings. This is plausible because all addons will be listed on the master, whether enabled or disabled. It's implausible, however, because multiple characters can have all addons listed
  • There's a file somewhere which defines which character's Addons.txt to use for global settings (this contradicts other things, though)
  • File creation date. The earliest would be the master file

I also noticed that the system is pretty easy to break. I can't remember exactly how, but I managed to get WoW thinking that toggling an addon on any character would toggle it globally. This is why my solutions aren't exactly bulletproof.

So does anyone know what's going on here? Anyone know how it actually works? It would save me quite some time trying to work this out if you could share. Thanks.

Last edited by shkm : 06-22-10 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Confusing wording