View Single Post
04-17-11, 02:36 PM   #8
eqsanctum
The Great Equalizer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Say the tank runs ahead and starts the next group of mobs. I was left behind looting all of the cloth from the mobs (GO tailoring!) and catch up a few seconds behind everyone else.

I start to cast Arcane Blast, and do not enter combat until my cast goes off and hits the target. Time in combat starts ticking away.

Now, say I have a string of huge crits and the tank was slacking off. The mob runs towards me and I hit Invisibility. I go out of combat and invisible before the tank pulls the mob back. Time in combat stops counting.

I start to cast Arcane Blast, and do not enter combat until my cast goes off and hits the target. Time in combat starts ticking away....
After reading the whole post I would ask what are you using to record the statistics, and how? I use recount and through fine tweaking keeps a within 200 damage / 50 dps difference between all fights. I also have it set to record on any damage event in the combat log or any healing event that takes place within an damage event rofl

So back to your question. I think it's as simple as this. Every DPS meter counts damage based on a time window. Lets say 1 second. If You do no damage from time window to time window your dps is 0 and considered 0 therefor dropping your dps as it is a measure of damage you are doing per second. However your damage done, will always be your damage done. If you did 1 million damage to something it doesn't matter how so slow or fast you did it, it's still 1 million damage.

So essentially, you can do 77k dps every single time in a fight, but the reported dps number may be when cd's kicked in or something. However your overall or actual damage is lets say 1 mil if you got to that 1 mil faster then you'd have higher dps. If you got to it slower then you'd have lower dps. Pretty much it.

Last edited by eqsanctum : 04-17-11 at 02:47 PM.