View Single Post
10-12-12, 02:59 PM   #10
Steeveholt
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Even if you do decide to add an interface, you do not need to use XML. There is only one reason to use XML in WoW, and that is to create secure templates for inheritance; everything else can be done in pure Lua.
That's good to know, thanks! And I feel like as someone who has been healing using Grid exclusively since very early in its release I, and everybody I ever kept alive during a raid or a bg, owe you a big thank you!

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Also, I suggest using WowPedia over WoWWiki as it's more up-to-date: the admins and most editors left WoWWiki in 2010 to form WoWPedia.
Will do! Thanks.

Originally Posted by Jarod24 View Post
Welcome to the fold Steve.
I myself use wowprogramming.com, WoWWiki, WoWInterface, Curseforge and of corse google.

Yes there are limitations of what you can do in the game. For example events can not make the player automatically cast spells etc. These can only be done by actions initiated by the player (keyboard or mouseclick).

If you are simply interested in finding someting that is already created then you should look at my addon called IfThen: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...11-IfThen.html
It has a IDE and fully documented API to write simple IF-statements to react to events ingame, just like you mentioned in your example.

A quick example of the addon's syntax.
Code:
OnEvent("Buff") AND HasBuff("Heroism") OR HasBuff("Time Warp") THEN Print("!!!==Heroism || Time Warp==!!!");
That is pretty much exactly what I wanted to do. Basically something like this:

Code:
OnEvent("DeBuff") AND DebuffTarget("focus") AND HasDebuff("Chains of Ice") THEN Print("Someone needs a Freedom!")
Similarly, it'd be good to be able to use it to track incoming spells:

Code:
OnEVent("SpellCast") AND SpellTarget("player") and SpellIs("Polymorph") THEN Print("You should probably cast Hand of Sacrifice right about now")
I'll look into your addon! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Coote View Post
Welcome to our nightmare, Steve. I think you're gonna like it. I think you're gonna feel you belong.

Most of what I could say has been said (WoWPedia > WoWWikki, check out WoWProgramming), but I'd also recommend popping into IRC if you need questions answered. Even with a solid background in other languages, I recommend to start with something small, if only to get accustomed to Lua, and WoW's API.
Glad to see the IRC channel is on Freenode. Every time I want to check out some community's IRC channel and it's on another network I never use I end up never going back. I'll add it to my auto-join list!