View Single Post
11-24-13, 08:22 AM   #8
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by pelf View Post
It seems like the choice is between WoWI and external.
SVN is SVN no matter whose server it's on, etc. Really, the decision you should be making is whether you want to use Curse or WoWI as your primary "base of operations", and the main factor in that decision should be which site you like more overall.

I wasn't super happy with the ticketing system on WoWI the one time I used it to report something; though, I suppose the ticketing system can be independent as well (at least one addon I've made a lot of reports on uses Google Code just for ticketing).
Neither site has any coupling between your SVN/Git repo (or lack thereof) and the ticketing system.

I do agree that WoWI's ticketing system is sub-par, but it's servicable. Bug reporting and fixing for a WoW addon is just not that complicated. The hardest part is getting the user to provide the information you want in the first place. I accept tickets on both WoWI and Curse(Forge) since users can download my addon on either site, and may not have (or want to create) an account on the other one. I don't bother with a third-party site for ticket management, as I feel it should be as easy as possible for non-technical users to report a bug, and asking them to set up an account on yet another site is unreasonable.

WRT "documentation": I've become so accustomed to writing full comment headers, at work, for every (C#) method, property and class -- public, private or otherwise -- that code looks horribly barren without it.
You can write all the comment headers you want, and neither site will stop you. There's just no reason for those comment headers to be pushed out to a public-facing web page for users to read in 99% of cases, so the fact that Curse has "autodoc" features and WoWI doesn't isn't relevant in 99% of cases.

Last edited by Phanx : 11-24-13 at 08:29 AM.