View Single Post
07-07-08, 09:29 AM   #54
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Kailef --

Thanks for the message and the e-mail. I'm going to reply to you here so that everyone can read over our shoulders.

Originally Posted by Kailef View Post
I'd like to take a moment to congradulate you on your first pubic release of nUI. I've been working with it and I'm quite impressed. To do something similar (but not as tightly integrated obviously) I had to use and heavily reconfigure a large variety of disparate mods. Very nice, very well done.

I maintain a guild modset which I update on a regular basis for all of my members, (Over a hundred people) and I am seriously considering adding this in. Before I do that, though, I'll report the only bug I've found, and give you a feature request which I am confident that at least half of my guildmates will want.
Thank you for the kind word... it's been a lot of work and a lot of work yet to go, but it always feels good to know people value the effort.

1 - The bug / incompatibility. The... let me find the right terminology here... There it is, the nUI console, the one that's got the main WoW menu buttons and the latency/FPS meter on it.... By default, it appears when you mouse over it. However, when running FuBar, it doesn't appear consistently. I was able to duplicate this issue with a clean WTF folder as well. Anyhow, you probably already know about this issue. :-)
FuBar's implementation is a PITA to "hook" into and have nUI react to dynamically. I'll spare you the gory details of all that and just leave it at: I am aware the FuBar detection is not working quite right, I hope to have it more stable with this next update.

2 - The feature request. I absolutely love the HUD in nUI. It reminds me very much of MetaHUD. My existing modset design uses ArcHud, and I love it as well. However, half of my guild hates having the HUD up there in my existing modset and I'm sure they'll want a way to turn it off in nUI. The rest of the info could stay (cast bars, threat, etc) but the arcs themselves seem to really annoy people. I looked through the slash commands and didn't find a way to do it.
Well... adding a slash command to not show the arcs would be easy enough. How to display the health and mana after that is a much more complicated problem given the layout of the player, pet, pet target, target, ToT and ToTT frames... which is touching on your next request.

One of the problems is that I overlay pet on player, target of target on target, etc. I recognize those are not features you use, but they are features a lot of people do use. But even if we leave out ToT and ToTT, there's still the pet that overlays the player. So, if we hide the HUD arcs, I would have to move the pet unit to be able to display the player health and mana and would have to disable ToT and ToTT to be able to display the target health and mana. And the cascade goes from there.

I suppose I'm going to have to seriously rethink how I chosen to lay out the unit frames. In the end though, the bottom line is that no matter what choices I make, there's going to be a non-trivial group of users who are going to hate them.

Going along with the feature request is this feature "change"... if the HUD is hidden, we'd need for the main unit frame display to show health and mana. Personally, I don't even use Target of Target, never mind Target of Target of Target. *head spins* I'm sure some people do, though. However, If the Unit Frames were a little more configurable with regards to how many levels deep the ToT tree goes, and had the option to show health and mana bars for each level, it be a big step towards making flexible enough to serve the needs of everyone in my guild.
This is also a recurring theme. Everything in nUI is highly configurable and was designed that way from word one. However, until I code the configuration panels, etc., none of it is easy to configure. All of the unit frames are based on the exact same code set... be it player, pet, party, raid, whatever. Every unit frame has the capacity to display any and all elements of a unit including the models, health, mana, etc.

So, in theory, you can edit the WTF\Account\{your account}\SavedVariables\nUI.lua file and move, resize and option any unit frame you like pretty much any way you like. But that's not really a solution for 100+ people unless there were multiple nUI.lua config files for with and without HUD arcs, etc.