Thread: Taint
View Single Post
01-31-13, 05:17 PM   #3
Aanson
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
securecall only works from Blizzards own code, as a mean to try execute stuff that might be tainted, so when you use it it has no effect, hehe. :P
Yeah, I read that about securecall right enough. But it does have an effect alright.

- Before using securecall (ie just returning the function), I'd get an error when trying to remove something from an inventory slot.

- After adding the securecall function, the error was gone and the hooked UseContainerItem worked without any problem.

Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Overriding API like this will result in taint that will break any secure environment it is used in, and you won't be able to use items in combat eventually, not if UseContainerItem is involved.

hooksecurefunc it if you want but you gotta think an alternative way to achieve what you wanna achieve.
That's what I was worried about. Thanks for confirming it. It's clearly better just left out entirely.

I was doing a bit of thinking after writing this post, and I'm playing with the idea of hooking the OnShow handler of StaticPopup frame instead to achieve the same result (without compromising the confirmation popups for buying something or cancelling an auction etc).

Thanks again