View Single Post
04-30-09, 02:59 PM   #1012
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by schmittyd View Post
Hi All,

I would like to start by saying I am a WM user and was very annoyed to find out that Curse and WI blocked WM from downloading. My view on the decision is that in no way was it to protect authors, it was purely a financial motivation. Curse and WI were unhappy that people were using WM to download addons, and not visit their sites which generate revenue by the advertisements appearing on the sites.
How do you know this? Too much assumption and not enough fact.

Furthermore, the complaints that surfaced from Curse and WI that WM did not provide links to the home pages of the mods and donation links was a complete load of crap, if both parties had taken the time to use WM they would have found that by simply by looking in the details pane or right clicking a mod that the menu gives options to 'Visit Official Web Page' or 'Make a Donation' which take the user to the proper web site, whether it be WM, WI, Curse, Wowace or any other web site.
It had to be negotiated with Wowmatrix to add the links, author names, and donate buttons. They refused to at first.

From many posts I have read complaining about the decision most people including myself do actually visit the official web pages to read up on changes or post feedback/bug reports.
You obviously didn't read enough posts otherwise you wouldn't be saying the exact same things that dozens of other ignorant Wowmatrix users said in this thread.

The argument put forward about protecting authors is also misleading, considering that most, if not all mods are provided by a GPL or similar open source licence which generally allow free and open distribution, so here is a warning to Curse and WI - be very careful with your false pander, you are actually breaking the terms of the open source licences by disallowing distribution by third parties. WM, authors and users have the legal right to file class action lawsuits against Curse and WI, which would result in severe financial losses so please reconsider your decision as who will you be helping if you have to close due to your own greed and misconceptions.
FYI: The authors are part of the Curse, WI, and Wowace communities. They have banded together with Curse and Wowinterface against Wowmatrix. Many have emailed Wowmatrix to have their addons removed. (Some get no reply, some don't even get their addons removed.)

Cairenn should reconsider closing this thread. All these posts by ignorant Wowmatrix users are getting really redundant. I mean.. why give them a place to whine? Let them piss and moan about Wowmatrix somewhere else. Let them get their addons from somewhere other than Curse or Wowinterface.

Last edited by Spectro : 04-30-09 at 03:04 PM.