View Single Post
07-21-12, 05:11 AM   #118
Vlad
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hehe, I'll try clear up any confusion or misunderstanding to my earlier post. :P

What I meant is, since there are signs of lua code running (pet battles) that isn't exported as an addon, meaning we can't see the sources, meaning it makes things just more complicated and busywork to figure out how that particular addons works, what events it uses, API, e.g.

One may say that's a good thing to "bake" all addons into the binary and get rid of all the Blizzard_* addons, but on the other hand if that happens, how can we explore the sources of their LOD addons and learn from them? I think it's an important aspect of both learning how to code for the game, and getting an idea how things work around here.

It's early to say though, they might make the baked addons exportable too, it may be that they just haven't made the export feature export this new type of lua code, so it's no biggie if they fix this for retail release.

I only dislike the idea having the sources completely unavailable and having us guess on API changes and how their addons work. I didn't mean to sound like "they are doing it right now", just saying if they are...

Just a side note, I personally don't see how baking all the Blizzard_* addons would make it any better. Please DO enlighten me though on what you thought!

Last edited by Vlad : 07-21-12 at 05:21 AM.