View Single Post
09-05-10, 09:54 AM   #1
fixitman333
A Fallenroot Satyr
Exclamation Random game crashes in northrend

I started experiencing seemingly random crashes in NR after the last WoW patch. They seemed to happen just about anywhere, with no apparent cause. I eventually started to realize they were most common around and in Dalaran, as well as when flying over Wintergrasp. One of my guild-mates was experiencing the same issue, and eventually was able to discuss it with a GM. The GM told him the issue was caused by Carbonite and/or Questhelper. He said that disabling Carbonite did indeed resolve the issue.

I ran some tests today to see what results I got. I run a huge number of addons, so the easiest test was to simply disable Carbonite and play for a few hours. I followed the exact routine I've followed every day for the past three weeks. I do the Dalaran cooking and fishing dailies, and then Argent Tournament dailies. I have always experienced at least one crash per day following this routine. I experienced no crashes or glitches the entire time.

Once back in Dalaran, I logged out and re-enabled Carbonite. I then logged back in and disabled the "max camera distance" option in Carbonite. I ran around the city for a few minutes-no crash. I then took a "taxi" to the Argent Tournament grounds and back-no crash. I then took a "taxi" to River's Heart in Sholazar. The game crashed as I passed over Wintergrasp with the following error:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
This application has encountered a critical error:

Not enough storage is available to process this command.

Program: D:\WoW\Wow.exe
File: .\MapMem.cpp
Line: 558

Requested 2558243 bytes of memory

Press OK to terminate the application
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm running Win7 64bit with 8Gig of RAM. My video card is a GeForce GTX 285 with 2Gig of onboard RAM. I'm guessing WoW is requesting too much VRAM, causing the crash. I'm running WoW in full-screen windowed mode, which might be part of the problem. I'm going to run some more tests now, and will post any additional information I can. I certainly hope this WoW GM was wrong. This bug could be very hard to fix if they aren't...