View Single Post
09-05-10, 06:59 PM   #5
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by fixitman333 View Post
I usually run WoW with all settings except AA maxed out. I've tried dropping my view distance in steps all the way to halfway, with no effect on the crashes. The problem with this issue is that it doesn't affect everyone, and it seems to affect those it does in different ways. It is quite obvious it is a memory issue. What isn't obvious is what triggers it.
I would double check and make sure you're running the latest video driver too. A few of the video settings are memory hogs too. I think they were the checkbox toggled ones on the bottom of the Video Effects page.

I'm hoping that careful experimentation will reveal a little more about the trigger for my particular issue. That information might then be put to use to help others. It is quite obvious that Carbonite is somehow involved in this, but I doubt it is the actual cause. I have several suspicions, with my strongest being that WoW has a memory leak and Carbonite just happens to use a large amount of memory. That in itself is not an issue, unless you run three dozen other addons like I do. Toss a bucket-load of addons at a program that has a memory leak, and the results are going to be random crashes.
I have no no idea about running a ton o addons... ...Granted, not every single one is on at the same time, but close. Ive been experiencing zero crashes since I've turned down a few video settings.

For reference:
Win7 64 bit
Athlon X2 6000+, 4 gigs ram
2X Nvidia 9800GT cards set to SLI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	addons.jpg
Views:	992
Size:	572.5 KB
ID:	4802