View Single Post
11-17-12, 09:13 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
In order to have the names and messages split up like you describe, you would need to actually use two frames, placed side by side to give the illusion of being a single frame. Names would go in one frame, and messages in the other. You would simply alter your scroll buttons/functions to scroll both frames at the same time. You could probably hook into the existing chat frame system to remove the names, and only have to write the second frame for the names, but that's still going to be a lot of work, especially for someone unfamiliar with Lua and/or the WoW API.

On a side note, you don't need to know anything about XML unless you are writing secure templates for inheritance by unit frames or action buttons. Frame creation and manipulation is more straightforward and far less verbose in Lua. The only reason you still need XML for secure templates is because Blizzard does not currently provide a way to create virtual frames (templates that don't actually exist as frames themselves) in Lua.

If by "toggle making the chatbox interactible/static" you mean toggling the Blizzard UI's "Make Interactive" toggle in the right-click menu, yes, just call the same function that gets called when you click on that menu option:

Code:
FCF_ToggleUninteractable()
... will toggle interactibility for the current chat frame.

Code:
FCF_SetUninteractible(ChatFrame1, interactible)
... will set a specific state of interactibility for a specific chat frame, where ChatFrame1 is a reference to the chat frame, and interactible is either true/false or 1/nil. You'd need to look at the value of ChatFrame1.isUninteractible to see whether the states are true/false or 1/nil; Blizzard originally used 1/nil for everything, but has been slowly converting to true/false.