View Single Post
05-01-09, 01:21 PM   #1061
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Donnaterassi View Post
WM gets no love because they allow me no voice.
Personally I'm still waiting on wowmatrix's "response" to all this. They have a shining history of not answering emails from Curse,wowinterface and many authors.

Originally Posted by Donnaterassi View Post
**down to 68 mods and looking at cutting 12 more this week** **Donna's Diet Program...lose 12 mods a week (and survive)**
I've never been about cutting down the amount of addons you use.

I have 159 folders in my addons folder that when I take out Blizzard addons and addons that come all together in one mad I am left with 89 addons.

I have all my addons favourited on wowace, curse and wowinterface. I get email alerts about them every time the author posts a new version. I examine each email at a regular interval and depending on if it's a major or minor update I download an update.

I've been using this system since December 2008.

And you know what I've learnt ? Much of the updates I was downloading were only minor updates. New text in languages I don't play in. Tagging changes. Changes to features in addons I don't even use.

I also learned that , once stable, my addons don't update in major ways every day. Or even every week. Some will work perfectly fine through patchs with a minor TOC bump from the author.

Like it says in my sig. I update using this system about every week - . It takes me no longer than 15 -20 mins a week. I get maybe 3 addon update downloads.

No offense intended (to anyone involved in writing them) but I don't think I could go back to using a program to update my addons at all. Simply because I've weined myself off having to update every day. I'm only updating once per week and even that's too much. An addon updater program doesn't fit my needs.

Once your UI is stable (ie after patch day changes updates) you shouldn't need to update any of your addons for around 3 weeks or so.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)