View Single Post
08-08-12, 07:31 AM   #26
Unbelievable
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
If I find an addon that someone else abandoned but I want to update it to work, either I submit a patch for that addon or I create a clone of it and give proper credits to the original addon and author so people don't get confused.
If the mod you clone is covered by an All Rights Reserved license then you are producing a derivative work without express written permission. In doing so you are directly infringing the original authors copyright and breaking the terms and conditions of the hosting service. I.E. It's a bad idea.

You'd be far better trying to get permission from the author. Some authors may simply be taking a break waiting for the next expansion (particularly this close to an expansion).

If the author wants their mod updated, they'd either update it or change the license so that others could pick up their work. If a mod is left "abandoned" online, it may be the case that the author has done so on purpose that they can point to it and instruct the hosting service to take down any subsequent clones that appear, with the mods update history establishing the authors ownership.