View Single Post
08-06-08, 11:03 PM   #361
mscott998
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
buffs and debuffs.

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Okay... I have been playing with the idea of creating a buff watch list that's easy to look at and this kind of follows along the line of "will buffs still be in the same place"

In a word... no.

Or, more accurately... no on buffs, yes on debuffs. The debuffs on you, your pet and friendlies will still appear on the HUD right next to the health bars. Likewise, the buffs on hostile targets and/or ToT's will also still appear on the HUD next to their health bars. In other words... the things that are detrimental to you still stay where they are on the HUD.

That said, I always hated where I had located the player's buffs (and player pet) as well at target debuffs... in that block just above the dashboard. It was hard to look at (to me) and took up way too much space. So... I want to move that info into the unit frames for the most part. This is also to the benefit of those who do not want to use a HUD.

With that in mind, and the conversation earlier today about having buff bars you can look at, I've come up with the following solution... (see the attached image)

I'll point out this is all configurable, so a "skin" can be made with relative ease that lays this all out differently. Anyway, in this design, the "detail" information about the player's buffs appear in the top left of the screen in a sorted list if you will. It shows what the buffs are, their name, time remaining and number of applications where required.

At the same time, the icons for those buffs appear as small and unobtrusive buttons in the bottom of the player's unit frame. If there is an application count, that is shown on the buff button in the unit frame, but timers are not. A buff that is about to expire will begin to flash in the unit frame and that would be your cue that it's time to refesh or to look at the upper left for status. This way the buttons are very clean in the unit frame, but the information is readily available if you need it and generally located out of the way.

You can see that debuffs on the player also appear in the unit frame, only they are larger (for visibility) and include timers.

So... tell me your thoughts on this approach.

I dont really like the positioning of the buffs in the upper left hand.. i use healbot and the left side of my screen just above the position for buffs as of beta 1 and below the fubar panel is where my healbot is positioned so that it is not in the middle of the screen. i can post a screan shot in a 40 man raid if you like ..

will it take up too much room to put the time in minutes on the icon inside the unit frame with a green timer bar below them.. just a small bar is all that is needed .. i do like the flashing function.. thanks again

Last edited by mscott998 : 08-06-08 at 11:08 PM.