View Single Post
08-19-12, 10:15 PM   #109
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
I had a look at nUI lites copyright note that Scott wrote and it seems they may be allowed to host it.
Wow, that is the most verbose license I have ever read in my life....

For the individual "end user" who is defined as a natural person who has legally obtained a copy of this distribution, who holds and maintains a valid and active player account with Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. for the purpose of playing World of Warcraft, and has installed this distribution on a PC as a functioning add-on to World of Warcraft for personal use, or for the purpose of allowing such use by bonafied end users directly on the computer on which the distribution is installed, permission is hereby granted ...
I think "end user" would have probably been sufficient there, lol. And as it's written, anyone who lets their WoW subscription lapse but doesn't immediately delete nUI is violating the license, which is pretty strange and probably not intended. (Also, it should be "bona fide", not "bonafied".) It's also completely unenforcable, as there's no way for anyone to identify computers where an addon is installed, and scan those computers for WoW installations, and make sure that said installations aren't connecting to private servers, and make sure that any account that has ever signed in with that installation is "valid and active".

Anyway, yeah, it looks like Paragraph 3 allows distribution as long as (a) nothing is modified, (b) there is a link to the nUI website, and (c) there is a link to the nUI donation page:

Redistribution of the nUI Release/nUI Lite version is permitted under the following terms... Permission is hereby granted for unlimited free and open distribution of "nUI Release" / "nUI Lite" by anyone in any form and by any means provided the nUI Release distribution contents are not altered in any way, are distributed in full with all copyright statements and licensing terms included and intact and that any interface the end user is provided for the purpose of downloading nUI includes a plainly visible and functioning link to nUI's official web site at http://www.nUIaddon.com and a plainly visible notice that nUI accepts user donations with a working link to nUI's donation page at http://www.nUIaddon.com/donate.html
Since WoA copied your original description verbatim, they also copied the links, so it looks like they are in compliance with the license.

Edit: Also, I noticed on your WoWI download page you have the title as "nUI 5.07.24 (Lite)- MotP Beta"... but there's no "t" word in "Mists of Pandaria".