View Single Post
04-11-10, 07:29 PM   #17
TravisWatson
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Waverian View Post
It doesn't ignore the scale.

What am I missing here? This is exact code from Saiket. From the looks, it blatantly ignores scale. (It should scale with the map, but it doesn't)

Both solutions are acceptable, but the fact is not everybody is going to have their UI set to this scale. Also, just as importantly, changing the UI scale modifies your entire UI. When switching to a normalized UI scale I had to drastically modify every individual element of my UI to be ~20% smaller and in a position to match the old.
This is exactly what I'm trying to get at... I don't want to do this AFTER I create my UI, I want to do it BEFORE everything gets set up at an improper resolution for one of 2 purposes:
  1. Creating a custom UI for myself or for a UI Pack.
  2. Creating an addon. When I design web pages, I create for 1:1 pixels in my images and browser. If they user chooses to scale, that's their option, but my optimization is 1:1. Why would you not optimize my WoW addon font sizes and textures the same way? Do you have some other suggestion for best practice?

If an addon developer runs at a UI Scale of 2 and optimizes font sizes, etc for that, it's going to look like hell for someone with a default of 0.9 (no ui scale).

And by using the UIScale method when setting up my custom UI or pack, I'm making every addon pixel perfect, not just some random one that I'm creating. This goal isn't to create one pixel perfect addon, but an entire pixel perfect UI regardless of the addons I use. I really believe we're talking about two completely different problems. Hopefully you'll see my intents now.

If I'm releasing an addon that requires pixel-perfect borders, should I tell all of my users to change every UI element's scale and position, or should I emulate the value of a pixel in my own UI and leave everything else alone?

I'd always choose the latter.
Again, you're completely misunderstanding the purpose of this thread. Although I think the method presented could possibly be useful in rare situations, like I showed it clearly ignores scale, and I strongly disagree with this implementation other than very rare situations (1 pixel borders, for instance).