View Single Post
10-19-09, 03:33 AM   #12
Zidomo
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
Or you can get a pre-packaged UI to save yourself the initial set up time then continue to update the addons yourself.

Its not as if you have to continue to update your UI through the same bundle download. Of course there are exceptions with people making custom modifications of some addons. These are fairly uncommon by comparison however.
"Initial setup" of individual mods (meaning downloading/installing via MMOUIMinion or similar) takes what? 10 minutes?

I have seen more people using UI compilations with outdated mods over time asking me for help than I have anything else regarding mods. Then again, most people I know don't use UI compilations, but hey .

Of course people can update individual mods. But if a mod in a compilation isn't updated, they have to spend extra time going through the compilation seeing what mod is causing the problem after a patch. Most people using such packages don't pay attention to what is initially installed with them. As well as new users not having any idea about downloading/installing individual mods (see below).

One of the other big problems with UI compilation--besides the above--is it limits the the thoughts of first time users for exploring the wide, wide world of alternative mods. They have a compilation, it does the job right now, why bother looking/learning to look/downloading other mods that might be more suitable for their needs?

I have no doubt that a few UI compilations are "fantastic". Or at least well maintained by compilers over time. I don't recommend them to friends/family/anyone I help with mod issues/etc., but hey, to each their own.