View Single Post
09-20-12, 08:38 AM   #57
Shoogar
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
I could do that, but
a) most people would get lost if I tried explaining how to use patch / diff, or would not like having to install new software.
b) every version of carbonite is different, so a patch for 5.041 would fail in every chunk for 5.042. Every time they did an update i'd have to find where the functions moved to then redo every change.
Hmmm, for a), a something like GNU Patch for Windows (or other similar software) should be portable, so if the patch.exe, the patch file, and a batch file were extracted into the addon directory, the user could just run the batch file and it would do the rest.

For b), doesn't the software to generate the patch look at both files and generate the patch? If you developed your own version starting with what you did before, and maintained it yourself adding features and fixing bugs without going back to their version at all, whenever an "official" release were made all you should have to do is run the patch/diff software against your .lua and their current one, and you should get a valid patch for that version, regardless of how different they were.