Thread: Carbonite 5.04
View Single Post
09-03-12, 01:36 AM   #203
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by scorpionjs View Post
What do we need to do to get a 1 minute post from the authors of this add-on? Sure, they are busy, just like I am, but the information they need to provide is very simple: 1. Yes, we are working on an update. 2. No, we are not working on an update. 3. We are still deciding whether or not we will be able to support this add-on.

Many of us pay for Curse premium and are thus paying at least something for these add-ons. I believe that's worth at least one minute of their time to make an announcement.

If this add-on has copyright laws and the author doesn't wish to relinquish control over to anyone, that also needs to be announced before good samaritans find themselves entangled in legal issues.

I really like the Carbonite add-on for the google earth style maps and the quest handling. Few addons are as accurate with the quest arrows, the main competitor for my taste is wow-pro which is also currently broken. The blizz tracker and map is still not up to snuff.

So, in the end, I would like to see the original authors update this addon, or relinquish the controls to a team with time. What I think I deserve as a paying customer is at least a minute's worth of time to make a formal statement. I don't believe that's asking too much of anyone.
I agree with a few things - one, it would be great if the authors gave us a quick response and it shouldn't take too much time. However, peoples lives are busy, they still may not know about the Pandora update (especially if they don't pay much attention to WoW anymore). People are attempting to get in contact with them, so the only thing I can suggest is patience (not a virtue many people have). I also hope that the Carbonite authors do not have any problems with the fan update that has gone on, given how he has done it and still stands behind the original Carbonite.

Second, Curse Premium says it supports addon authors by "Our authors get a share in all the premium membership revenue. Your subscription directly supports authors that are active in the community." However, it doesn't say how much, how many authors get the support and doesn't specify what is "active in the community". These are items I am not aware of, but it is something many companies use as a marketing scheme to make you "feel good" about paying for their service. This could easily be a slight award to 1-5 authors (of thousands) a month and could be a small stipend dependent on downloads and updates. I'm also guessing addons that are not hosted on Curse (like Carbonite) don't belong to the group that may get monetary support.

FYI, if you are a "Paying customer" for any addon - you (and in relation the add on author) are violating Blizzards ToS and could lose your account along with get the addon banned. Paying for a service that allows you to download items is not paying for an addon - it's paying for convenience (lets call an apple an apple, not an orange). If you truly want to support addon authors, donate directly to them and then you know it goes to the authors of addons you use.