View Single Post
09-03-12, 02:10 PM   #215
TULOA
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Necrosage View Post
Okay guys,

Firstly:
All versions of windows currently in use are able to open zip files without needing to install 3rd party software. You should simply be able to right-click and select "Extract All..." to start the extraction wizard. If you insist on using a 3rd party application then I highly recommend WinRAR. The free trial version is unlimited with only a small popup asking if you'd like to purchase the full version on every third or so run. Even that doesn't pop if you use WinRAR's right-click menu options without loading the entire app. I've used it for years and never had an issue of any kind.

Secondly:
To install the Fan Update you download the zip file and extract it. I recommend extracting it to a temp folder you can easily locate. Most extraction wizards give you the option of creating one on extraction and I usually put it on my desktop. Once you have the files extracted, locate the "Program Files" directory for your particular version of Windows. Keep in mind there are two such folders on 64bit systems. In that case the 32bit folder name will contain "x86". Your WoW install will be located in the 32bit folder. If you only see the one "Program Files" folder then simply select that one and ignore everything I said about 32/64bit. Inside that folder you will find a "World of Warcraft" folder. Open that folder and inside locate the "Interface" folder. Now open that folder and and find your "AddOns" folder.

Now inside your "AddOns" folder you will see folders for all your installed addons. Look through them and find the "Carbonite" folder. There are four seperate folders used by Carbonite but only one is simply named "Carbonite", that's the one you want. Open it up. Take the files you extracted earlier and drag and drop them into the "Carbonite" folder. Windows will ask you if want to replace the original three files with the new versions. Tell it yes.

At last you have the Carbonite Fan Update installed. You may now delete the temp folder you created on your desktop as it should now be empty. If you have any issues with it try disabling your other addons one at a time and see if it starts working after a certain one is disabled. Please post the name of that addon and the error message you receive in the forums. Rythal can work wonders but not without the proper information. If you have any other issues post them and include as much info as you can about the problem.

Hopefully this will answer some of the questions about how to install the update properly. I know some of you are extracting directly into the addon folder but I recommend during it the long way just to be sure everything happens as it should.
Remember that not all users installed it to the default directory. Just something I figured I would put up there. In this case you can right click the shortcut on the desktop and select: Open File Location if you have windows 7. I know some others may have it but I am not sure how early that went. Otherwise you can go to the shortcut properties and in there should be a Find Target option. That should also work.