Thread: Sad News
View Single Post
04-01-12, 01:15 AM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Sad News

[Edit] Okay, yeah, this was our joke for this year's April Fools. We'll stop deleting posts that gave it away, now. Thanks to those that played along.

It is with great sadness that I have to make this announcement. I’ve found out why we haven’t been given any beta keys to give away to authors yet. They have decided that, going forward, they will no longer allow AddOns in World of Warcraft. As of 5.0 (Mists of Pandaria), AddOns won’t work. They said it was a combination of factors that has finally led them to this decision. They feel that there is too much time spent by their support staff due to bugs caused by AddOns being out of date, conflicting with each other, etc. As well, they are (in my words, not theirs) ‘tired of having to deal with all the complaints that AddOns give unfair advantage, they make the game unbalanced’ and so on.

We started to get the feeling that there was something going on when we got to see the Beta during the Press Conference and discovered that the AddOns button was no longer on the Character Select screen. In previous betas the button has remained, it was just disabled. We had also been hearing some rumbles before then that had us wondering, but we didn't know for sure. We were finally able to get them to confirm no more AddOns during the Press Conference. Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to say anything until now.

As well, since there isn’t going to be any point to having a site for WoW AddOns, we will be shutting down WoWInterface when the expansion goes live, if we (the entire community) hasn’t been able to change Blizzard’s mind by then. We will still be running all of our other sites - EQI, EQ2I, VGI, LotROI, DDOI, RiftUI and our soon-to-open SWTORUI, as well as opening new sites for any other games that come along. We’ve really enjoyed getting to know all of you and we hope that we’ll continue to see many of you on our other sites.

Thank you all for making this the best WoW AddOn Community out there. From myself, Dolby and our wonderful volunteers - best of gaming. It’s been a great seven years and we will miss you all.

Last edited by Cairenn : 04-01-12 at 04:58 PM.