View Single Post
06-07-09, 08:07 AM   #26
Ketz
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by Unbelievable View Post
Paying for a mod is a bit like buying a plant from a garden centre. If you get the plant home and it dies a few months later, tough: The soil / light conditions (aka wow policy and API) aren't within the control of the garden centre (aka Carbonite team). No guarentees implied or implicitly stated.
This is a flawed analogy. Trying to use your analogy a more correct view would be, prior to the blizzard policy change, I leased the plant for a year (Carbonite) and was guaranteed service on that plant for the year by a gardener (Carbonite Team). After the policy change, the gardener can no longer lease plants with gardening service attached however they are required to service the existing plants already leased under the old contracts that were entered into in good faith by the purchaser and the seller.

Now we are all rational people here. We cant expect these guys to go bankrupt and ruin there lives and possibly there families lives over this. While the income under the subscription service was better than the current donations, I cant imagine their entire living was made off it. Even less so now.

At the same time many of us paid for a service that some feel they are no longer receiving, and its true there was about a month of really spotty updates. There were times I was sure that Carbonite would fold up and R.I.P. I was positive that my subscription would be in essence "lost".

The key here is compromise. The Carbonite team didnt fold up shop they kept the doors opened, and cut costs by shutting down the premium server. They have real lives and we shouldnt expect them to drive themselves into the ground fulfilling contracts that are simply no longer able to. They have made updates as they can and they also made sure the prior subscribers and new donaters had a place for VIP status to have there voices heard "more" and to receive special attention to their requests and needs. Does anyone really have huge problems with this addon?

My original subscription was 15.00 a year (1.25 a month) and in my opinion was a great deal and I would have payed double that knowing what I know now about this excellent product. I will continue to donate on a yearly basis to the developers to help encourage them to continue. If everyone did that there wouldnt have been a drop off in the Teams income and they wouldnt have had to trim back the way they did. The sad ones here are the ones leaching the product and complaining about it in the forums below.

Were in good hands here.