Thread: Minion in Wine
View Single Post
09-08-14, 02:01 PM   #4
Silarn
A Kobold Labourer
I can answer both of these questions!
Minion does work in Wine alongside ESO (which may or may not be best practice -- it might be best to install into its own wineprefix, not sure). However, it's very glitchy. There are a lot of font rendering problems, including text which eats a hole in the window (you can literally click to the window behind). Certain actions can cause it to crash.

I've also extacted the files from both the windows version and the osx dmg, and running the jar in both instances results in this error, right after the splash logo appears. You then get a gray box in the corner which is supposed to be the running app, but it does nothing and has to be closed externally.

This is the error:

SEVERE: javafx.fxml.LoadException:
file:/home/silarn/Programs/Minion/Java/Minion-jfx.jar!/com/zam/minion/fxml/Minion.fxml:121

I don't get any stacktrace beyond that, but maybe I'm missing a command to see that.

---

This may be an issue with Java 8. Testing 7 shortly. http://www.coderanch.com/t/635623/ja...ils-Java-Works

---

Yep. If you want to run it this way, you definitely need JRE 7. It does not work on 8.

---

It looks visually okay on linux, but there are problems which seem to break it.

When it tries to do the initial game scan:
Sep 08, 2014 3:50:40 PM com.zam.minion.controller.MinionController$24$1 invalidated
SEVERE: GameDetectionService failed: java.lang.NullPointerException

Mouse clicks also seem to pass through much of the window, and only a few specific pieces are interactable.

Is there any reason it would have to be run with a 32-bit jre?

---

Final update for now.

I copied the working minion.xml file from the wine version to the linux version's .minion folder. Once I relaunched, I was able to bypass the game check which was crashing the program. However, this caused other issues because the game path was wrong - which sort of soft crashed the program. (All my clicks passed through the window.)

However, it did rewrite the minion.xml file with some new, correct info. So, when I relaunched one last time - it didn't encounter any errors and I was able to then add a new ESO pointing to the correct AddOn folder and delete the old entry.

I now have a working Linux Minion 2! Other than being able to click through the window at random. But it's workable.

Next step: Cut wine out of the process and eliminate those nasty errors and weird ghost-window problems. Maybe also update with JRE 8 compatibility, but that's more of a 'would be nice' than a real problem.

Last edited by Silarn : 09-08-14 at 03:33 PM.