View Single Post
02-22-09, 03:46 AM   #1
&res
A Kobold Labourer
Combat Log Event Timing

Hello. I'm new here and new to ui customization as well. And this is my first post here I'm working on my first simple addon and I got a question about combat log event timing.

The addon basically tries to predict when a next 'tick' of a channeled spell lands. The event I monitor is "COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED". On event type "SPELL_AURA_APPLIED" I get channeling duration with select(6, UnitBuff("player", spellName)) and divide it with total number of ticks to get the time for one tick. Now when on event type "SPELL_PERIODIC_DAMAGE" I compare the computed tick time with the actual time (by using GetTime() in appropriate places) the difference seems to be in range +- 0.3 seconds. When a tick takes around 2.5 sec then it is quite a lot imho.

Is it because of latency (was around 75ms at the time I tested) or do the combat log events just land inaccurately like this? Or are there some other ways more accurate than combat log to detect when periodic damage (or any spell/action really) lands?

Thank you.