View Single Post
08-05-10, 11:19 PM   #11
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by SaraFdS View Post
Given the fact that only one character per account can be online at the same time (except for disconnects and some other technical issues like stuck characters) one could easily get the information who could (not) be whose alt.
True, but as you said, it would take time, and if there was a problem, by the time you gathered enough data to make a good guess as to which characters were on a single account, any damage would likely already be done. Depending on the guild's activity level, there's also a high likelihood of false positives using this method, as it's entirely possible for two people to go months without being online at the same itme.

Another thing to point out is that there is no way to detect if two accounts belong to the same person. It costs $20 (or less) to create a new account. If someone really wants to mess with you, I don't think $20 would be much of a deterrent. I know plenty of people who have bought a second account and paid for two months of time on it, just to get the Refer-A-Friend mount. Buying a second account is cheaper than buying a Celestial Steed, and look how many people have that thing.

Finally, like I said before, if you're in a guild where you suspect that this kind of thing is happening, or is likely to happen, you should just find another guild.

Originally Posted by Enceladus View Post
My understanding is that the RealID information for your character can be seen in game by an add-on coded to access it. Anybody, supposedly, can access this data.
Incorrect. There was a vulnerability, but it was hotfixed quite some time ago now. There is no longer a way for an addon installed on your system to learn your Real ID name.

It is still possible (obviously) for an addon installed on the system of someone you are Real ID friends with to compile a list of your characters, but you shouldn't be using Real ID with people you don't trust anyway.

It is also possible for an addon installed on your system to compile a list of your characters, and send it to someone else without your knowledge, without using Real ID at all. This has always been possible, but you shouldn't be using addons from untrustworthy sources, and I doubt reputable sites like WoWI or Curse would knowingly host such an addon. If you were really worried about it, though, you could simply install StopAddonMessage or something similar to control your outgoing addon comm traffic.

However, I don't think this concern is very relevant to the topic, as it's unlikely you'd get someone who is (possibly) harrassing you with secret alts to install such an addon.