View Single Post
09-15-08, 01:12 AM   #14
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Dreadlorde View Post
Not everyone uses winblows, there's no reason for Blizzard to change the way the install/patch because M$ makes Vista overly-secure.
UAC is not overly secure. UAC is a basic security feature based on a concept the virtually every other operating system has implemented, which is that you should never be running administrative privileges when you do not need them. I say virtually only because I cannot guarantee theres not some obscure OS out there that does not. All operating systems I have used to date have had this kind of feature, but as usual Microsoft is a bit behind the game. Requiring the user to manually grant administrative privileges, often times give them the heads up that... "OH CRAP maybe this program isn't the Tetris clone I thought it was".

Originally Posted by AnrDaemon View Post
Well, it is not "UAC bad", it is "Virtualization bad".
It just hides the fact that problem (Program writing data in installation folder) exists.
Its not even strictly "Virtualization bad". This was a necessary step for Microsoft to take, as this is something that never existed in their OS before. From an economic standpoint they simply cannot release an operating system which refuses to run 80% of the programs that are already in use on their old OS, as for some off the wall reason people get pissy when they don't work on the new one. There is no perfect solution, but the virtualization works for many programs.

Last edited by Vyper : 09-15-08 at 01:15 AM.