View Single Post
01-18-05, 08:49 AM   #5
Svarten
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
LUA is such a simplistic script language that if you have done any programing in just about any script/program language you can pick this one up easily. The major problems with LUA learning is that you have to come up with other ways of doing things, since it lacks so many chnctions that you get used to in other languages

My background comes from UNIX world, like many others. I'v been working as a systemadministrator for over 15 years so script coding comes natural to some extent, just have to bother doing it.

Since I have always loved RPGs and played ALOT of MMORPGs though the years, WoW UI creation/modification came as a great fun for me, I actualy enjoy fiddling with the UI mods as much as I do playing the game itself!

I did some UIs for EverQuest and from that perspective I can only say that WoWs system is a bliz! You can do virtualy anything in this system, I just wish they'd let us have some kind of IO functions aswell, I can see the SavedVariables.lua file becoming a monolith a year after release, it wont be possible to work that way when you have to read a 2Gb file into memory af login

Anyways, Anyone who done any programing in any language can do this, noone should feel they can't learn it, it is realy easy, LUA have just a few functions build in and WoW API don't alove to any extensions.

Cheers,
Svarten