View Single Post
10-09-10, 03:32 AM   #6
Xinhuan
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Aryae View Post
Yes I have. My problem is though, I dont know if that would actually give me a full screen UI editing area, or just the basic bottom part. I tried experimenting with different sizes but none of them seemed to work.
The problem here is that you are assuming that a larger sized texture will automatically translate to a larger image in WoW. This is not the case.

What happens in WoW is that an addon specifies a rectangular region on screen to contain a texture, then specifies the filename to load the texture into this rectangular region. In other words, the texture from the file is always resized to the specified rectangular region.

In case you didn't understand that, I'll try to explain it again:

- The size of the texture as created in Photoshop doesn't matter. [Ok it does, in that the dimensions have to be a power of 2 up to 1024.]
- The addon is the one controlling the size of the image in WoW.

So if you have a larger texture, WoW would be able to display it more sharply or scale it up to a larger rectangular area without losing detail.

Therefore, there is no "size of texture" that will fill up the whole screen - addon code would be required to get the width and height of the screen (which would depend on the resolution and aspect ratio of the player's settings) and set a rectangular region to be that size. As you can expect, this causes issues with players that want to get their art pixel perfect - it doesn't work.

If a person wants something exactly 100x200, he would need to create it first in Photoshop at 100x200, then resize it to the next highest power of 2 for both dimensions which is 128x256 or even higher (yes this stretches the image without keeping aspect ratio), then make this 128x256 as best as possible. In game, code specifies it to be 100x200, and the 128x256 is then scaled down to fit, and it would look best. Even then, 100x200 in wow code doesn't translate to 100x200 pixels on screen. The user may scale up the size of the entire UI (via the UIScale slider in game) and also the user is quite capable of resizing his wow window to any width and height (in window mode) and the entire UI will resize (get squashed or stretched) to fit.

Last edited by Xinhuan : 10-09-10 at 03:38 AM.