View Single Post
04-20-09, 10:51 AM   #136
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Maul View Post
It is most likely still in alpha because the framework is not stable enough to develop modules. It would not be nice to start developing a module for an unstable framework to only find out later that the fix for being unstable means you have to re-write the module.
This is mostly correct.

There have been a few cases so far where I've had to adjust the API and it would break things in the process. My primary objective is that once beta is released, only backwards-compatible changes to the API will be necessary. The primary reason for this is that when a module causes a VM error (note the difference between the Exception and Error classes in the Java documentation) such as NoSuchMethodError, it can potentially break the auto-updating portion of the client, leaving the user in a pretty bad position. (In a best-case scenario this just means losing the configuration of the program. In a worst-case scenario, it means having to reinstall. I don't find either of those options to be acceptable.)

Once we're in beta, the API will be finalized. Any changes I make to it will be backwards compatible so that old modules can still be supported. I will think about releasing the API ahead of time but I want to make very clear that if I do in fact do this, then at least until beta is released, everything is subject to change significantly.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/