View Single Post
08-01-13, 03:07 PM   #1
Seyn
A Defias Bandit
Exclamation Sudden increase in graphic quality + temps

Hello,

I've run into a problem since installing Maryon UI. I think the problem is related to my PC and graphic drivers however, and the UI has just triggered it. I know a bit about computers but not enough to actually fix them so bear with me here .

I previously had a custom UI with a mish mash of addons set up how I liked. I've since backed up the Interface and WTF folders, and copied over the "new" versions from Maryon UI.

I logged in and everything is pretty and new and lovely. But for some reason, despite my graphics setting being exactly the same, all of my textures were MUCH crisper and with an unlimited FPS it was running at 91FPS.

I then locked my FPS on the Config.wtf file to 40, as I had done on my previous UI, to cut down on the heat, but the fan was still blowing like crazy and in comparison to the previous set-up I could tell it was a lot hotter.

My question is what has caused this sudden change, and what can I do to deal with it/reduce the heat? Even at 40FPS it was burning up.

I have my own idea, and hopefully someone who knows about computers can help me see if it's right:

For some reason, my computer runs both the Intel HD graphics and the NVIDIA graphics drivers. They both show up in the system tray and in Drivers. I can't get rid of the Intel one and on many games it defaults to it.
I think that, somehow, WoW was previously running on the Intel graphics giving me crappy textures and that the change to Maryon has changed something in a config file somewhere so it now runs with NVIDIA card. I guess this would explain the clearer textures and the heat increase.

Also, under System in WoW (ESC menu), I can select Monitor 1 or Default and this seems to change the speed of the system.

Under dxdiag, the Intel HD graphics 3000 also shows up under Display and the NVIDIA drivers isn't mentioned.

Is there a way to monitor this at all? Can I somehow stop the Intel driver being active so my laptop solely runs off of the NVIDIA?

System specs:

Windows 7 64Bit
intel core i7-2670QPM
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 555M GT / Intel HD 3000

Thank you for any help