Thread: Def caped 540 +
View Single Post
12-29-09, 05:04 PM   #3
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Weizegger View Post
Hi every1,
I just like to know if stacking above 540 def is a waist or not.
Today i heard in the guild saying that having more then 540 def is allways nice to have.
For starters, I'd suggest not thinking of 540 as a "cap" as it were. The 540 value is simply the value at which you will not receive a crit from a raid boss. Stacking defense on top of this is not really a good thing or a bad thing. It all depends on your other attributes like avoidance, mitigation, and stamina. I would only stack defense once you feel like you are sufficient in all the other categories while maintaining the 540 value. It's hard to determine if you are sufficient in the other categories, as only you know how your tanking feels when you are doing it. For some, 28k health might be enough. For others, 35k feels comfortable. Etc.

If you raid, 540 would be the minimum acceptable value. If you run heroics, 535 should suffice. In all places, only you know if you have enough stamina, etc. for the places you visit, the healers that run with you, etc. I've had some healers struggle to keep me alive when I've had 40k health, others that don't have problems when I have 30k (when I stack more avoidance gear).

In any event, it's a trial and error process. At the very least, you know what 540 is all about now. Is more better? Sure, but not at the expense of other essential attributes.

Get to 540 defense>stack stamina>stack avoidance>consider adding more defense after all these things are comfortable for what your toon does. Of course, all this is thrown out the door if you are a druid. Druids can spec crit immunity and thus, literally, 540 defense is a thing of the past for them, although they still benefit from defense (just not as much as warriors or paladins). Druids today should spec crit immunity, pile on a mess of agility (for dodge), and become obsessive about stacking stamina. Of all the tanks, it's easiest to gear a druid (in my opinion). "Monkey gear" makes the best feral tank gear in today's game.

Good luck