Thread: WoW - Survey
View Single Post
04-20-12, 09:17 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Do you hang out offline with players you meet through WoW?
Please clarify. Offline, as in off the computer? Or offline as in outside of WoW? I answered it as the latter definition. (Outside of the game, but online, is much more often than IRL since we live in different parts of the country/world.)

Also, as Othgar mentioned, there are many many many "older" players. Parents, grandparents, etc.
My parents think I spend too much time playing WoW.
I'd need a 3rd hand to count how many years it's been since I lived with my parents.
My girlfriend/boyfriend thinks I spend too much time playing WoW.
My husband (who plays more than I do) and I have been married for going on 8 years. I answered Not Applicable for both of these questions since they, technically, are Not Applicable.

WITH WHOM DO YOU LIVE?
The "I live with my family" response to this question can be interpreted 2 ways. If you are a child/young person living with your family (ie, parents/siblings/etc.) that is a different situation entirely than an older adult living with their own family (ie, spouse/children/etc.) As such, the answers to this question on your survey will not be an accurate representation of those surveyed, depending on how you choose to interpret this choice. Honestly, I have no idea if I should pick "with family" or "with boyfriend/girlfriend" for this question.

ARE YOU CURRENTLY ATTENDING SCHOOL?

** If you have a degree, please, mark "Yes, I study in college"
The word "currently" means right now, at this moment. I should answer no to this question. But you are telling me to answer yes. Also, if you mix these results from your survey (attending college and graduated from college) then you, again, will not have an accurate representation of the population of your survey. You will be left to assume things about the results - this is never a good thing.

WHAT IS YOUR GPA (grade-point average)?
WoW wasn't even out yet when I graduated college. I can tell you what my last GPA *was*, but not what it *is*. Along with the previous question (having someone say they are still in college even if they had graduated 10, 15, 40 years ago) stating their grade point average (whatever they remember it to be) will give your survey skewed results as to how WoW affects someone's GPA. Again, this is not an accurate survey question.

----------------

I highly recommend that you review the purpose of this survey. What is your study based on? What is your hypothesis? How can you get accurate results that will NOT skew the data in any such way. Skewed data is the #1 reason why many people take studies done by someone looking for a specific answer with a grain of salt. You see what you want to see. The data comes out slanted the way you want it to. Your questions need to be clear, concise and relevant to your study.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh