View Single Post
04-14-09, 04:01 AM   #33
Rendus
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
Wow, just wow. I think this is one of the worst cases of user entitlement I've seen in a long time.
Here's the thing. These websites, curse and WoWInterface, are pretty close to openly hostile when you're looking for something. Search for an addon, and it'll gleefully let you download an obsolete addon. It'll happily let you grab addons that haven't worked in 3 years. It will, without hesitation, mix addons that do and do not work. A casual user won't know that while the website DOES have timestamps for updates, and DOES have an outdated category, it does not filter these out by default.

Very few addons, to my knowledge, refuse the right to redistribute the work the authors presumably want as many people as possible to use. It's a handful of individuals that get uppity about redistribution for whatever reason. I don't understand it, but it's left to us to work around.

It's amazing to me that through all this (I've been lurking in the threads on occasion), the authors of the addons that are up in arms about WowMatrix only have their interests in mind. They don't care about the end users of their 'products'. They just want to restrict where people download their addons from. Entirely their right, as misguided as such a desire is, but as a user (either directly, or peripherally through a guildmate's use of that addon improving their performance), it's something I'm left to try to work around.

I can either send each person using any given addon to WOWInterface, search, hope it turns up a useful result, download, get whatever the latest published version is, hope it works, hope they know how to manually install addons, hope it's backwards compatible with existing saved variables... Or I can do the legwork once, point people to a known working copy, and be done with it.

-edit- *snerk* Speaking of... 4 addons out of 22 updated in the last 3 months? The second one I look at is 'beta quality' with 5 comments, two of which are unresponded to errors. The very thing I dread when helping guildmates get addons installed regardless of the source.

Last edited by Rendus : 04-14-09 at 04:10 AM.