View Single Post
08-18-12, 10:07 AM   #89
Razee
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I have three small requests, in case you'd be interested in taking them into consideration.

1) Exact colors
I have so many times been wanting to have several auras match each other in color. It's seemed to me that the only way to make sure you have a perfect color match is to work with duplicate auras (to preserve the color from one to the other). I would love it if the color picker had some option to enter a color numerically, in RGB or Hexadecimal or whatever, just some way of ensuring that you are using the exact same color on two auras.

2) Animation speed in seconds
I often use auras that spin like an egg-timer to visualize the duration of a short buff or sometimes a cooldown. Like for instance if I suddenly get a Sword and Board proc I have a little spinning aura show up that tells me "you have to consume this proc before this egg-timer is pointing straight upwards" (typically I would do this with an arrow type of texture that has a clear direction in which it's pointing). It works very intuitively for me in feeling how long I have before the buff or whatever expires and I prefer it to timebars. What I'm wondering is: wouldn't it be pretty easy to just have the animation speed slider be marked in seconds instead of just as a multiplier? As far as I have noticed, having the animation speed at 1 currently means that the animation will take 1 second per repeat (per rotation in the case of a Revolve-Clockwise animation). Wouldn't it be more useful to have the slider go from say 0.25 sec to 60 sec in intervals of 0.25? It seems to me that it would just be a matter of writing a little function that converts seconds into a multiplier of 1. I also can't really see that it would mean a downside when it comes to any other uses of animation speed. Naturally its possible for me to do this conversion manually (as I have been trying to do in version 4) but the problem is that some durations aren't currently possible to achieve exactly.

3) Time Frame trigger
I think it would be useful to have a trigger that simply restricts the display of an aura to a customizable time frame. What I mean by this is simply a trigger that has two parameters: Onset and Duration. If I set Onset to 5 seconds and Duration to 20 the aura will not appear immediately when all other trigger conditions are met but instead it will wait 5 seconds and if the trigger conditions are still being met it will then first actually display the aura. After that it will display the aura for a maximum of 20 seconds as long as the rest of the trigger conditions are met. I see a trigger like this as being very useful for tracking internal cooldowns of trinkets etc when the ICD is known by you personally but PA doesn't have any other way of tracking it. There are other situations as well in which I think this kind of trigger could be useful but I won't go through all of that.

In version 4, there was a duration slider on the animation tab which only went as far as 30 seconds (not making it useful for tracking most ICDs). This slider seems to only hide the display of the aura though while still considering the aura logically turned on. I think it would be beneficial to have a time frame type of trigger that actually in terms of logic considers the aura itself turned off if the conditions of the time frame aren't met.

Maybe the trigger explained above could simply be a development of the current Time Remaining trigger. The difference, of course, being that the suggestion I made has its chronological anchor point at the start of the trigger whereas "Time Remaining" has its base in the end point of the aura's duration. This could just be a matter of adding a checkbox that distinguishes between the Onset being in relation to the start or the end of the auras expected "life time". In other words, example: begin showing the aura 10 seconds from the start OR end of the aura's duration and show it for a maximum of 5 seconds thereafter. (I think the current restriction of 10 seconds in the Time Remaining trigger seems unnecessarily low though.)

Anyway, I realize that even if you would be interested in incorporating these requests they won't be (and shouldn't be) very high on your priority list but they are things I have been thinking about that I feel could improve the usability of the addon. Keep up the great work!