View Single Post
03-20-13, 09:35 AM   #14
fRodzet
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Clamsoda View Post
I wouldn't suggest a book. You'll accomplish a lot more by experimenting, and looking around the internet. I don't know if it is because I am part of a younger generation or what not, but books as references are losing their appeal. You can find exponentially more relevant information on the internet, faster; and as such, the learning process is less impeded by the frustration of looking through a book.

WoW Interface and WoWAce / Curse have very active communities with a lot of dedicated forums and sub-forums if you need help with a specific question, or want to try to find specific information. So long as you describe your questions adequately, ask clear questions, post your code, you'll find the help you need.

WoWwiki, WoWpedia, and WoWprogramming are going to be your best points of reference (at first). Each has articles on how to start an AddOn (.toc format etc).

Keep in mind that LUA is a language independent of WoW, and as such, you can find a LOT of information on general coding websites, or dedicated LUA websites.

Notepad++ is pretty cute.
Thanks for the Answer! I didn't know there was a difference between WoWWiki and WoWPedia? I thought they were one and the same.. Is both sites relevant or is one the better pick? I'm sorry for all the newbish questions but i really want to make my first useable addon, and i have the greatest idea in mind and it annoys the **** out of me that i can't accomplish it yet. I know it is possible because ived studied other AddOns and my idea is pretty much a mixture of those AddOns, all in one