View Single Post
08-27-12, 10:39 AM   #42
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
This mornings update on work done:

Green textures fixed except in one spot in the ocean beside twilight highlands, it only appears randomly and I can't for the life of me figure out which texture is suppose to be there but not showing since I went down a list of all twilight highlands files, and the internal array and everything matches up.

Got first of the 10 starter area's added (new tinkertown), started work on the next 4 for eastern kingdoms... hoping tonight to get all 9 finished so the addon is live ready.

Commented out the quest database internally, There is just to many problems with it cropping up... it doesn't know any panda quests which is what 99% of us will be tracking anyways, and starter areas have all been redone for every race so people trying to roll a new gnome monk for example, will be told to go the wrong locations with the tracking (noticed this when testing new tinkertown with a gnome monk). Commenting them out means I can restore it at any time, but with it gone it gets all the information from blizzard instead.

Changed the "request quests from server" to use the new method, blizz no longer sends what quests you've completed on command, it's already entirely client side as soon as you login.. so while it still asks if it should get them, it never sends the command just updates itself from what the client knows.

Wandering isle is working.... that was a tricky bugger since it's not known by the game unless your on it.. it does not show up in any continent or zone lists... it's entire id is continent -1, area 0, zone 808... so i'm treating it like a battleground for map placement / viewing and that seems to work.

As for all the questions I keep getting asked about where i'm going to host it.. I will probably host it on my own website to start. I want to host it here at the addon sites, but I need to find out more information about what I can and can't do because of the disclaimer / terms of use / copyright... most other addons will allow a fan update / new addon release based on updated old code, but they also don't include any sort of disclaimers against it. Personally I'd love the devs to come forward and officially declare it abandoned so I can start my own project based on it with separate bug forums / requests of what people want added back from the base (like points of interest for pandaira, resource nodes, or built in gathermate support etc)

Edit: Just realized how that last part sounded... I don't want them to declare it abandoned for my sake, I'd love for them to come forward and say YES an updated version is coming! and give us all hope towards it...but if they have no intentions of doing so i'd also like them to say so, to legalize the fan versions... even if they were to say Fan updates are OK until we have a chance to do our own.... just something so were not left in the dark.

Last edited by Rythal : 08-27-12 at 10:51 AM.