View Single Post
08-28-12, 12:08 PM   #51
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
that's a good question... and probably why the code was unreadable... because really once you know how it all works, it would really not be that difficult to restart the whole thing from scratch, 99% of it is just numbers and lining up 3 maps overlayed on top of each other. A lot of addons already have the "fog of war removal" which is the top layer, second layer is just default continents, and third layer is the satelite view built from the same images the minimap uses, so anyone could redo it.

I'm actually more surprised that in all this time, no one besides carbonite & cartographer has done it, since once you figure it out it's not very difficult.

The downside to it, and the reason why both probably fell to the wayside... they are a lot of work to maintain... unless they have a better way of doing it (would imagine so) it's a lot of datamining into the mpq files to find the information / numbers / settings etc to keep the maps displaying properly anytime something changes.. and even then it's not flawless, like my twilight highlands green square which is kinda really pissing me off since I can't figure it out... i've even now one by one removed every tile from the zone and it still remains. (green tiles are a new thing with MoP... before settexture would return null if the file didn't exist, now it works reguardless and displays a lime green box if it was invalid).

Last edited by Rythal : 08-28-12 at 12:29 PM.