View Single Post
08-06-08, 03:06 PM   #347
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
lol As a matter of fact, I am a programmer, but still relatively early in my college's course. I think I've underestimated the modularity of your new codebase, and I'm excited that beta2 sounds like it will be exactly what I'm looking for! I've also underestimated your willingness to add features and adapt things to your users preferences. Since you've encouraged me by being so gracious, I'll offer the specific points of improvement I was witholding earlier when I became discouraged, thinking there was no way they could all be realized.

I'm not at home, so I don't have the list of all the Grid plugins I use, but there are several. It's setup to show who's missing my class buffs, who's got aggro (when I'm tanking) and who's got a shield or IB (probably about to start taking damage), who's got curses (on my mage), who's missing how much HP (for healing of course) and how many lifebloom stacks do they have, and who's already got HOTS from other healers so I can work on people that need healing, raid mana, and readycheck statuses. If your raid frames can show me all that stuff, then great. Here's me being a doubting Thomas though, and not thinking your frame will be able to take Grid's place in my heart. So if that's the case, I'll still hope to be able to drop Grid in to replace your frame.

You're absolutely right about me being resistant to change, but I recognized that, and tried to explain that I'd try to be patient and give all your setups so different from what I've used for so long a chance. Here's the specific thoughts on features I'm missing / hoping for. I can't vouch for whether these are "needed" changes, I'll just give you one person's views and let you take it from there.

My current Quartz was left at the size it was when I installed it, which is about 3x as wide as your casting bar. It has a colored portion at the end of the bar that shows when I should cast my next spell to take advantage of latency. It's fairly big and easy to see. With the blue bar on your casting bar, I can't really see when it's reached the end and it's time to cast. Maybe it's just too small, maybe it should show as a portion of the cast bar itself (like quartz) instead of it's own moving little blue bar, but I need something I can see better. (My screen's currently 1600x1200 if that affects why it's so small for me, moving to 1920x1200 as soon as I can afford it)

The buff bars, I'm not nearly so set in my ways. I can't imagine there's room the way the buffs are spaced for all my raid buffs on the left side (though I didn't actually get to try it out on my mains yet) without going up into multiple rows. I think what I like most about EBB is having them very skinny in a tall stack. Debuffs are on bottom, and I always know where to look to see what's on me. Sorting vertically by time remaining allows me to find my Ice Block very quickly (almost always at the very bottom of my buffs) and r-click it off so I can get back into the PvP. lol As I think about why I like it, it really is hard to accept that I may need to get used to something new. But especially considering how powerful v2 will be, you can rest assured I'll slog through the adjustment phase until I'm OK with it!

My other concern was, is this going to go the way of Mazzle come WoW 3.1? How long do you think you'll be in on this project?

So, I don't think I saw this in the posts I did read, but ... when can I expect to be able to test drive beta 2? Soon? (Like, the same kind of soon where Blizzard's going to get us our beta keys "soon"?) lol You're awesome! Don't forget to take some well-deserved ice cream breaks and stuff while you're coding.