View Single Post
02-19-13, 02:45 AM   #72
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I like the new standard, actually. True, this may cause some breakage, but you write Grid, SmartRes2 is in development, and that only leaves sRaidFrames, and I don't know how changes will affect that AddOn. My point being, I don't think a major version bump is necessary; sRaidFrames can adapt, if need be. If the case was messing with dozens of AddOns, that would be different. It is only now that LibResInfo is getting put through its paces, and us authors were expecting things to break.

As for spellID, I could go either way. I don't see it is strictly necessary. While LRI might use UnitCastingInfo(), and if spellID is provided, that removes some potential redundancy. The trouble is, it is potential. If an AddOn really requires the spellID, it isn't hard to get. No need to provide the barn with the horse.

On the other hand, isFirst might truly be useful to add to callbacks, given that two of the AddOns are unit frames and SR2 is all about being first or not. Again, it isn't hard to pull that from the library API, so all you would be doing is creating your own redundancy. Or remove it from the API. That might be a bad idea, however.

My input would be that if you were to add isFirst to a callback, the only one that benefits is ResCastStarted(). ResCastCancelled() and ResCastFinished() don't gain anything from knowing whose cast started first. After all, either way, the cast is done, first or not.

The one duplication that is provably useful is endTime in both APIs and ResCastStarted(), with endTime being the resurrection time out in ResExpired() rather than the cast time.

The short version of this is there is no need to bump major versions when LibResInfo is barely off the ground, and providing the kitchen sink in callbacks is not necessary either. Standardizing the callbacks is all that's needed.

On a side note, here's a temporary fix: update the documentation to reflect the current code, and when you change things, then update again. But I am itchy and want to test things out! Darn impatience!!

But that's just me. Speaking of which, SmartRes2 does have an open repository, but there is no point in anyone but me at this time making a commit. The last alpha, r218, doesn't have a lot in common code with what r219 will look like.

Last edited by myrroddin : 02-19-13 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Grammar, please!