View Single Post
11-25-14, 10:59 PM   #10
Nynaeve
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
If that was the real motivation behind the license change, then the author(s) must have been pretty ... well, clueless, is the most polite word I can come up with, to choose an open source license in the first place, since the whole point of an open source license is to explicitly allow anyone and everyone "take [your] work and make it better".

It seems more likely the change was motivated by the regular appearance of leech sites who don't give a rat's ass about what authors want, and just want to make money redistributing other people's work on their own ad-infested website. I personally had a few addons in the public domain, since they were small and based largely on Blizzard's UI code or the work of other addon authors, but after the latest round of hassles with SolidIce, future versions of those addons will be covered by my standard license as well. Additionally, on Curse I've switched all my addons to be labeled as just "All Rights Reserved" since one of the many problems with SolidIce was that their scraping bot just grabbed everything that wasn't labeled "All Rights Reserved" since they apparently couldn't conceive of any other license that didn't allow for redistribution.
I would have thought the same, as that's where my mind first jumped, when I read the license had changed, especially considering the most recent round of addon site crazy, but a quick read one of his (?) comments disabused me of that notion.

It's certainly a strange time to have decided to change it, this late in its lifetime. The previous license was very specific and detailed, but allowed for so many possibilities.

I suppose it's a good thing for me that I had just thrown out my tank addon in progress for the 762nd time, as maybe it would function well as a DBM plugin if/when that functionality is included.

Regardless, this is all a little sudden and perhaps awkward, and I do hope things get situated quickly.