View Single Post
11-26-14, 08:55 AM   #13
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
It certainly is strange. I can't even imagine what kind of idiotic thought process leads someone to explicitly license their work under terms that allow people to fork it, and then years later suddenly get upset that someone has been doing just that. Nobody is forcing them to spend "16 hours a day" working on DBM, as they claimed in that comment, and the existence of VEM (or lack thereof) has absolutely no effect on the amount of time it takes to maintain DBM.

The only non-ridiculous motivation I can come up with is that users choosing VEM over DBM reduces the amount of money the author makes through the Curse Author Rewards Program. However, based on the numbers I can see (the whole VEM page on Curse is down, so I'm using WoWI numbers only) that reduction is so small as to be totally irrelevant (about 312 dl/month for VEM versus over 22,000 dl/month for DBM) so the whole thing really does seem like a knee-jerk emotional reaction with no logic behind it.

The author(s) of VEM might consider reworking their addon as a BigWigs plugin, since BigWigs already supports plugins with a sensible callback system.
The original author and owner of DBM, Tandanu, licensed DBM and its modules under the Creative Commons license. MysticalOS, having taken over maintenance of DBM and its modules, decided that the new modules for WoD would be All Rights Reserved. This does not change the license for the original content at all.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.