View Single Post
09-02-12, 06:47 AM   #329
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
Please ignore my following comments if they are "way out in left field!" I am not a programmer and I know nothing about coding addons.

I noticed in a few previous posts that there's confusion in deciphering how Blizzard's or Carbonite's coding was done in reference to maps, scaling, zones, starting areas of game play, etc. So, I'm just wondering whether any of the difficulties relate to Blizzard's "Phasing"? If so, could that have anything to do with how some maps are used to display the exact same area as compared to other maps being used depending upon a char's level, or when char's are involved in certain quests, etc?

This is just a wild thought of mine, based solely upon imagination and having no technical, or programming basis at all. heh heh
sort of, but no... i'll explain it using elwynn forest as the example, before Northshire use to be a subzone like Goldshire or Molsen's farm, you were still in Elwynn forest as a whole. Now it's a totally seperate zone while in the same place, so crossing the line and entering it is like entering westfall or redridge, the game expects a new map to be displayed.

What i'm doing right now is taking that new zone, and instead of displaying it's map, i'm super imposing your location in it, overtop of where it's subzone use to be. That's where the scaling came in, because when your in Elwynn forest taking one step means you moved 10 yards or so and all the maps are designed to reflect that, but the new Northshire subzone, trying to set things so you move 10 yards on the map while inside it, 10 steps would cover the entire road abby to guard gate. It's real scale is 1.5 or so instead of 10. Once i've figured out the scale, I have to change the offsets of your cursor location so your location on the minimap, reflects your location on the world map and everything appears transparent.

So far right now I have 8 of the starter zones done now, sometimes if you zoom really really close you can see a slight difference between where the 2 maps think you are, but to see it I do mean really close zooming to the point you don't see anything else on the map then you. That's caused cuz it's still off by .001 or so, and I'd rather spend the time working on getting them all done so the patch can be released, then striving hours for absolute perfection.

it's 9am and once again i've spent all night working on it instead of sleeping :| so no patch yet, when I wake up i'll get to the last 2 zones then it should be ready for release.