View Single Post
10-29-10, 07:27 PM   #10
samishii23
An Aku'mai Servant
To any one who was considering copying the internal FrameXML LUA/XML files from the MPQs... Even if you do that its useless, the XML / LUA files within the v4 MPQs have been converted to machine code.

I've uploaded a file removed from build 13164 (v3.3.5), and one from build 13205 (v4.0.1)
The header seems to be a PTCH, DIFF, and HXFRMR... Possible clues to what kind of encoding it may be... Who knows though.

Edit: After a little bit of research, its probably a "bsdiff" file format thats based on the bzip2 protocall.

I have a hunch though... BLPs are basicly a JPEG file with an Alpha parameter tacked onto the RGB... Looking at the New LUA file in note pad... The 1st 4 characters are PTCH then a little ways in you see the BSDIFF meaning blizzard probably made another inhouse file "Type" to make it more difficult to see / view / modify their stuff, but basicly all they did was make a extension that just added on a "pre" header to the file type before the "Original" data headers...

Just a theory anyways... Trying to figure out how to de-compress it... lol

Edit:I doubt that the PTCH hunch of blizz making a new type again is correct. The above bsdiff patch talks about making "Patch" files for easily updating binary files, with reduced size. So theres probably a dll lurking in one of the MPQs with the proper headers to decompress the new FrameXML files. =\

Thats above my level of coding at the moment though. Hope I gave someone a haed start though

Last edited by samishii23 : 10-30-10 at 05:36 AM.