View Single Post
04-14-09, 05:34 AM   #56
Rendus
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Premium Member
So, I install Curse Client to see what the deal is.

It installs an addon that, as far as I can remember, it never asked permission to install.

At least it wasn't Weatherbug, I guess.

Author > User.

Originally Posted by Tristanian View Post
Well, some of the authors choose Curse as a place to "actively" update their addons, would be more precise to say actually WoWAce (the addons are only getting syndicated to Curse). Why ? I would reckon, it's mostly a matter of version control system. Usually, if you pick one, you stick with the supporting site, mostly due to technical reasons with the packager support. It's really not anything personal and most of us know each other anyway and don't hold it against each other

I do agree that both databases need some deal of cleanup, BUT, there are instances of addons that are still perfectly working and don't need updates (in all honesty a working addon doesn't need a .toc bump or something, I personally do it, to avoid support questions and save time). Best thing is to report a vastly outdated (and broken) addon and at least here on WoWI, I've personally witnessed that the response/evaluation is generally fast, in such an occasion.
I'd wager that any addon pre-2007 could be safely culled. It'd be a hell of a task to go through and report ancient addons as broken, given the sheer number of them. It'd be nice if authors would self-police in that regard.

Last edited by Rendus : 04-14-09 at 05:36 AM.