View Single Post
09-23-12, 04:20 PM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by lerb View Post
I haven't read up on any of this, I've only partially watched and read about Carbonite (never used it) and if I'm correct, you're no longer allowed to charge people to use your addon. You can accept donations, but not force people to pay to use them. Am I correct this far?
Yup, you are correct.

If I am, I have been thinking about addons like Zygor. Zygors Guides is an addon you have to pay for (if you want latest version from their website..), I know this because I myself was thinking of buying it since I'm going to level a monk in about 12 hours and I'd like to do it fast between 1-85. But then I realized, If I do so, am I breaking Blizzards rules? Are they breaking the rules? Why do they charge for their addon when it's not allowed?
The way they are getting around it is because they aren't charging for the addon they are charging for the access to their database and guides, as you suspected.

We also have the Dugi Questing Essential hosted here on the site that is developed by Dugi Guides, or Ultimate WoW Guides. They have free trials but also charge for the full version of their addons. Just the Leveling part of the addon for Alliance and Horde is priced at 60 bucks.

So.. Am I missing something? Is this allowed?

Confused Lerb
It's the same deal again as with Zygor. They aren't charging you for the addon itself, they are charging for their database and guides.