View Single Post
11-16-12, 03:45 AM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by solson8691 View Post
You had nothing positive at all to say about my custom UI.
You asked for helpful comments. Saying "omg its so pritty!" isn't helpful; it's just vapid praise. If you only want praise, and not any suggestions on what to improve (or why it needs improvement) you should make that very clear in your request for feedback, or just not request feedback at all.

If it works for you, that's great. Nobody else can design a better UI for you than yourself, and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks if you just want something that works for you.

However, if you're looking to produce something that's appealing and usable for others -- and since you have uploaded your UI for others to download, that seems like your goal -- it needs a lot of work. I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings, but I'm not going to sugarcoat it. You're asking for feedback from a community that dedicates a lot of time to designing WoW UIs, many of whom (myself included) have actual jobs in a design-related field. While your UI may have taken you a lot of time to arrange in a way that works or you, to me (and likely others) it looks like a bunch of addons with default settings, placed haphazardly without consideration for even the most basic tenets of UI design.

Likewise, if I went to a restaurant known for its pork sausage, and asked the chef to tell me what he thought about my homemade pork sausage, I wouldn't expect him to praise me for the time and effort I put into it, even though I personally think it's pretty tasty. I'd expect him to just tell me what he thought of the end result, and since I know I'm not a professional cook, I'd expect his comments to be mostly, if not entirely, critical.

Originally Posted by solson8691 View Post
I generously devoted my time and effort to compiling my UI, as well as uploading it to this website (which took considerable time, mind you), ...
If you didn't enjoy making your UI, or don't feel like making it was its own reward, then this is probably not the hobby for you. Telling us how generous you are to have spent considerable time zipping up other people's addons and uploading your settings is not a strategy that will lead to either the success of your UI, or to your own satisfaction. I'm sure there are plenty of other things you'd enjoy doing for their own sake, without feeling cheated when the result doesn't garner praise and approval from others.